Following extensive building work over three years, The Apex opened its doors for the first time on October 8th 2010.
More than four years on, we can still remember the incredible
buzz and excitement coupled with the terror and sheer
exhaustion of the opening couple of weeks!
The Apex is an award-winning venue, known for its acoustic excellence and
home to a diverse programme of live music and events; from classical concerts to pop, rock, jazz, blues, world, country and folk, plus comedy and dance performances.
"Best new venue in the UK. Absolutely superb" - Funeral For A Friend
"Best acoustic we’ve had in 40 years of touring" - Fairport Convention
Bring your family along to ‘Sunday Brunch’ in the Apex Lounge
FIRST SUNDAY OF EVERY MONTH 11am-2pm /
Free (No booking is required, simply turn up) Weekends were made for relaxing! your children can join in with fun games and activities while you unwind with delicious food, the weekend papers and live acoustic
- Staff Training: Yes
- Infra- red system: No
- Disabled Concessions: Yes
- Staff receive disability awareness Yes
- Documents are available in Braille No
- Documents are available in large print No
Babies & toddlers
- Buggy access – Yes, but not allowed into the auditorium
- Baby changing facilities Yes
- Breastfeeding friendly Yes
- Activities & crèche No
- Toys, Boxes & crayons No
- Lockers & storage No
- There are booster seats available for children sitting in the downstairs stalls only. They are free but limited in number.
- Credit card facilities Yes
- Debit card accepted Yes
- Group rates available Yes – on some shows
- Membership cards - No
- Cash only - No
- Cash machine on-site - No
- Parking – Yes although not operated by ourselves.
Assistant dogs allowed, Yes
There is a café on ground floor and bars upstairs.
Methods of Payment
- Tickets may be purchased by using one of the following methods of payment: cash, cheque, VISA credit and debit cards, MasterCard, Maestro Domestic, Electron, JCB, Solo and Laser cards.
- We do not accept Maestro International, Amex or Diners cards.
Methods of Booking
You can book for events online, by phone and in person.
Tickets may be collected from the Box Office at any time during Box Office opening hours.
Seated tickets may be posted to you for a charge of £1 per transaction if they are booked at least one week prior to the event. If a ticket is lost, tickets will not be re-issued.
When you purchase your ticket, you will be asked if you would like to make a donation towards the future programming of events.
You can also book for events via post. Please note that extra information will be required, as follows:
1. Your name, address, daytime telephone number and email address (if any)
2. The title of the event, date of performance, type of ticket and number of tickets required
3. Details of any concessions or discounts available to you
4. Payment - please make your cheque payable to St Edmundsbury Borough Council
Concessions & Discounts
- Concessions or discounts are available for some events.
- Please call the Box Office for details on individual events or use the drop down list when purchasing your tickets via our website.
- Where applicable, concessions will be available for children 16yrs and under or those still in fulltime education, full-time students, senior citizens over 60 and in retirement, all persons registered disabled and those in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance. Tickets for full-time students and for persons in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance will be retained at the Box Office and issued upon proof of right to concession.
- Where applicable, discounts are available for group bookings at a reduction of £2 off the full paying adult ticket price. To make a group booking please call our Box Office on 01284 75800001284 758000, or email us at email@example.com.
- Please check your tickets as mistakes cannot always be rectified.
- Tickets for events promoted by The Apex or with SEBC or FHDC are non refundable. If you are unable to attend an event, tickets may be returned to the Box Office up to one week prior to the date of the event and your Apex account (which is created at the time of booking) will be credited with the value of the ticket less a £2 administration fee per ticket. Your Apex account may be used to purchase tickets for a future event at The Apex.
- Tickets for events promoted by a third party are non refundable and will not be credited to your Apex account. Please visit promoter's website for terms & conditions, (The Apex terms & conditions do not apply). If you cannot use tickets already paid for we may re-sell your tickets or exchange them for another performance of the same event. To exchange or re-sell tickets the originals must be returned to the Box Office at least 24 hours before the performance for which the tickets have been purchased. This service is subject to a handling charge of £2 per ticket and is solely at the discretion of the Box Office Manager. We reserve the right not to accept tickets for re-sale or exchange.
- Tickets purchased through an agent representing The Apex or an externally run event must be exchanged with the agent and not with The Apex or the Box Office and are sold subject to the agent's own terms and conditions.
- The Apex nor SEBC nor FHDC are not liable for any tickets that are lost or stolen. Standing tickets will not be duplicated under any circumstances.
- Due to Health & Safety The Apex operates a policy of no standing in the balconies.
Food & Drink at The Apex
- The Apex Café in the foyer is open for delicious drinks (including triple-certified
- fair trade and organic coffee), cakes and snacks from 9.30am-5.30pm Monday-Saturday and from 10.30am-4pm on Sunday.
- You can enjoy your drinks and snacks at a table in the foyer, out in Charter Square if the weather's pleasant, or upstairs in the Lounge to take in the beautiful artworks on display in the Art Gallery.
- Pre-show dining is also available at The Apex (served upstairs in The Lounge) with dishes starting at just £5.50. To make your dinner reservation, click here.
- Bars, operated by Sodexo Prestige, are situated in the foyer, the auditorium and
- in The Lounge. Bars open at least an hour prior to the event start time, and the number of bars open is dependant on the event.
Disability Aids & Access
- The Box Office sells and distributes tickets for all sorts of events at different venues. If you are concerned about disabled access to any event please ask.
- A request to book a space for your wheelchair and a companion seat must be made clear at the time of booking an event as seating or places for the disabled may be limited. Companion seats available beside wheelchair spaces will be released once all other seats have sold out
- The Apex specifically accommodates up to five wheelchairs per performance in the stalls. Where space for a wheelchair is required it is essential it is booked via our Box Office - call us on 01284 75800001284 758000, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As a wheelchair user you are entitled to bring a carer or friend to accompany you on your visit at half the cost of a full paying adult ticket price where concessions are available.
- Once inside The Apex there are lifts to all floors. For those using mobility aids there are toilet facilities on the first floor level, and wide walkways for wheelchair users.
- Those with an ambulant disability may be seated in the upper balcony floor though patrons must be able to evacuate of their own accord for Health and Safety reasons as emergency exits are only available via the stairs.
- There are four parking spaces for blue badge holders located outside the basement entrance to The Apex. These are allocated on a first come first served basis.
- Our infra red audio system with stethoscope headsets for those with hearing difficulties provides cover for the auditorium. If you require the use of a stethoscope headset this must be made clear at the time of booking. Headsets will be available on a first come first served basis unless they have been booked in advance.
- Assistant dogs are welcome in all parts of The Apex. When making your booking please advise the Box Office so we can make your visit as enjoyable as possible.
- The Apex is situated in the Arc shopping centre, just 2 minutes walk from the main bus station which is situated on St Andrews Street North. Buses arrive at this station from local and National Express services. Most bus routes include a stop at the Arc.
- Bury St Edmunds train station is situated on Station Hill, a ten minute walk to The Apex. Trains arrive from all major towns in East Anglia and beyond.
By Car - SatNav
- The nearest car park is the Cattle Market/Arc car park (2 minutes walk) - IP33 3DG
- For longer stays, the nearest car park is the Parkway Multi-Storey car park (4 minutes walk) - IP33 3BA
- To see more information on the nearest car parks, including parking costs and maps, click here.
- Leave the A14 at Junction 43 and at the roundabout take the 3rd exit onto the A1302 (Compeigne Way).
- At mini roundabout take the 2nd exit onto Tayfen Road.
- At the next mini roundabout take the 2nd exit to continue on Tayfen Road; the Gas Works will be on your right.
- At the next mini roundabout, once again take the 2nd exit on Tayfen Road into Parkway over pedestrian crossing, fire station on your right.
- At the next roundabout, take the 2nd exit.
- For the Cattle Market/Arc car parks, turn left into the car parks.
- For the Parkway car parks, continue to the next mini-roundabout, and take the 4th exit, going back down Parkway. After the pedestrian crossing, turn left into the car parks.
- Indoor Activities
- Special Needs
- Special needs discounts
- FREE carer passes
It is your responsibility to verify availabilities, opening times, and all relevant details of businesses and events shown on this website.