Clare Castle Country Park
Situated to the south of the picturesque, historic town of Clare, just two minutes' walk from the town centre, Clare Castle Country Park is a beautiful quiet area to relax, play, get close to nature and learn about Clare's fascinating history.
The small town of Clare contains an extraordinary number of historic buildings (135 listed buildings) and sites for its size. Clare Castle Country Park falls within the Clare Conservation Area and was transferred from Suffolk County Council to Clare Town Council in March 2015. Clare Town Council holds the land and buildings as Custodian Trustee with the overall management of all aspects of the Park being carried out by the Clare Castle Country Park Trust.
The Park extends to 13.2 hectares (32.6 acres) and is visited by around 200,000 people each year. Clare Castle Country Park is unique in that nowhere else in the world will one find the following all in one place
- A site with Roman , Saxon, Norman and later connections that has already revealed fascinating archaeology finds.
- The remains of a motte and bailey castle (classified as an Ancient Monument)
- A Victorian station, booking hall, station-master’s house and the only remaining goods shed of its type (all listed buildings)
- Moats and fish-ponds
- Open green spaces (including a children’s playground and a bowls club) and woodland containing rare examples of flora and fauna. (The majority of the area is a County Wildlife Site).
- The New Cut (being a diversion of the river Stour built in the 14th Century) running along one boundary of the Park.
Bring the Children to Clare Castle Country Park. Why?
- We have an excellent playground with swings, slides, climbing frames, a roundabout and more
- It’s a great place to see nature
- There is loads of space to play and it is an ideal place for a picnic
- There are a number of walks within and starting in the Park
Free to visit
Something for everyone. Clare Castle Country Park has picnic areas, a full children's playground and nature in abundance. So if you have an interest in plants (some quite rare) animals or bird then you will enjoy a visit the Park. Alternatively or maybe in addition to, enjoy our leisure opportunities surrounded by nature, heritage and history. Walks in and around the Park offer a relaxing whilst exhilarating experience of our beautiful Suffolk countryside.
- Outdoor Activities
- Active & Adventure
- Parks & Playgrounds
- Walks & Picnics
It is your responsibility to verify availabilities, opening times, and all relevant details of businesses and events shown on this website.