Ipswich Transport Museum
The Ipswich Transport Museum will re- open on March 2019. Read our blog here
Ipswich Transport Museum is a collection of over 100 major transport and engineering objects which were made or used in the Ipswich area. They show how people used to go about their daily lives, and remind us of the many things that were actually designed and built on our doorstep.
Our Transport Collections are lovingly cared for by dedicated volunteers. The collection started 50 years ago with just one bus, and has grown into one of the most comprehensive collections of its kind. You can see buses and bicycles, prams and a police car, lawnmowers and lorries, fire engines and a funeral hearse. The amazing selection of local vehicles is supported by a variety of small exhibits, display material and ephemera.
The museum also houses the Ipswich Engineering Collection, which includes many items from well known companies including Ransomes Sims and Jeffries, Ransomes and Rapier, Cranes, Reavell and Cocksedge. The display includes cranes, fork lift trucks, lawnmowers and intricate models.
Things to see and do...
- We allow access inside certain vehicles so you can see how different they are to modern ones.
- Perhaps ring the bell on the fire engine, drive 'Dennis the Bus' or sample the sumptuous interior of our Bedford OB coach.
- View our restoration projects and see how our volunteers transform wrecks into gleaming reminders of the past.
- Look in our exhibition rooms and see themed displays about air, rail and waterborne transport.
- We show a selection of archive films taken in and around the Ipswich area.
- We are open every Sunday and Bank holiday 11am-4pm between Easter and November, and weekday afternoons 1pm-4pm during school... holidays. There are special events held regularly throughout the year. The museum is operated and supported entirely by the friends organisation and volunteers. New members and/or volunteers are encouraged and always welcome.
- The operations of the Museum are supported by the Friends of the Ipswich Transport Museum. The Museum also organises the annual Ipswich to Felixstowe Historic Vehicle Road Run in May each year and a number of special events throughout the year.
Admission Prices for 2015
Standard Admission Prices (orange, green and blue dates)
Child (5-16): £3.50
Family Ticket (2 adults and up to 3 children): £16.00
Under 5 years old free
Special Event Prices
Child (5-16): £4.50
Family Ticket (2 adults and up to 3 children): £20.00
Under 5 years old free
Enjoy a cup of tea, coffee or a soft drink and snacks in the Sunbeam Tea Room. Browse the gift shop for toys, models, books and novelties.
The museum has level access with accessible WC and a baby change table. Wheelchairs can access the tea room with assistance. We show a number of archive films. Children can drive 'Dennis the Bus' and we provide access inside several of our vehicles.
We have Debit Card and Credit Card payment options.
Please note: the tea room is not permanently staffed on quiet days but refreshments are normally available.
It is your responsibility to verify availabilities, opening times, and all relevant details of businesses and events shown on this website.