Museum of East Anglian Life
The main site of the museum is opened seasonally from March to November.
Discover the history and natural world of East Anglia on our beautiful 75 acre site. Explore nearly 3km of woodland and riverside nature trails. With 15 splendidly restored historic buildings, including the recently restored Abbot’s Hall, you can learn about fascinating East Anglian lives, crafts and culture, on a day out for all the family to enjoy.
"The Museum of East Anglian Life is one of those places that are not quite what you expected. As “museum” has a certain connotation, I wasn’t expecting to find a nature trail or a playground when I first visited". Read our blog here
For admission prices click here
Want to give your child an exciting adventure? Book a birthday party at the Museum of East Anglian Life!
Birthday parties at the Museum of East Anglian Life are action packed and full of fun!
Led by the Museum’s friendly staff, our Birthday parties can be tailored to suit the age and needs of your child.
Lets go on a treasure hunt!
Let the kids get back to nature with a treasure hunt, the perfect way to explore the outdoors with a prize to find!
Making friends with the animals
No party would be complete without a visit to our furry friends.
Plus one choice activity:
- Pond Dipping
- Bug Hunt
- Traditional Games
- Arts and Crafts
- Traditional Printing
- Suffolk Rusks and Butter Making
The party will last 2 hours (including 30 minutes for lunch or tea). Picnic lunch/tea will be provided by the Osier Cafe
£10 per child with a minimum of 10 children per party (£100 minimum charge).
Maximum of 25 children per party.
The party lasts 2 hours (including 30 minutes for lunch or tea)
Minimum of 1, maximum of 4 adults to accompany the party at no extra charge
50% deposit is required at booking – balance payable on day of party
Parties during the winter season (November-March) are only available Monday- Saturday
Cancellations must be made at least 72 hours before the party date; otherwise the deposit is non refundable
Cheques to be made payable to Stowmarket Museum Trading Company
Please ensure children are dressed suitably for the weather conditions. Indoor alternatives of activities can be provided in extremely poor weather conditions; however we recommend waterproofs and wellies for rainy days.
We do not however recommend the party for groups of under 5’s.
The Main site of the Museum of ast Anglian Life is open seasonally 22 march-7 November 2015. The Museum grounds are open, for walking around during winter opening hours, for a reduced admission charge.
Winter Admission: £2.00
Attraction Facility Notes:
The Museum has toilets in 4 locations around the site including 3 disabled toilets and 2 baby changing facilities.
- ABBOT'S HALL There is an accessible entrance with a platform lift for wheelchair users, mobility scooters, or pushchairs.
- An accessible toilet is located on the ground floor.
- Upstairs galleries can be accessed via a lift.
- There is a manual wheelchair available for use, if required. Please ask upon entrance.
- Electric buggies, driven by museum staff, can be provided upon request. Drop off and pick up times can be arranged.
- Wheelchair friendly routes are indicated in our visitor guide, available free upon arrival.
- Accessible toilets are located at both ends of the museum site (and in Abbot's Hall).
- Due to the historic nature of some of our buildings, we are unable to alter them to allow access to the upper levels.
- Where possible information about the upper floor rooms can be provided.
- For any further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01449 61222901449 612229
Catering Facilities Notes:
OPENING HOURS Mon - Sat 9am to 4.30pm Sun 10.30am to 4.30pm
- The Osier Café is set in the beautiful surroundings of The Museum of East Anglian Life.
- Open to the public all year round we aim to offer reasonably priced high quality homemade food in a warm and friendly setting.
- Our menu changes daily, we love to bake cakes and our scones are freshly baked daily.
- We always have a vegetarian option and now stock a selection of gluten free cakes.
- Outside catering is available, please contact us to discuss your requirements Home-made soup, freshly made sandwiches, ice creams and a great cup of coffee available for your enjoyment. Sunday roasts are served between 12 and 2.30, booking advisable
The Concession Admission Charge applies to senior citizens, students, unemployed persons and persons in receipt of disability benefit who may be asked to provide evidence of their status.
- Dogs are welcome on site (with the exception of inside Abbot's Hall and Crowe Street Cottages) providing they are kept on a lead at all times.
- The Concession Admission Charge does not apply to Visitors with disabilities who are not in receipt of benefit who will pay the appropriate Admission Charge but their carers will be admitted free
- The Child Admission Charge applies to Children between the ages of 4 and 16 inclusive. Children below the age of 4 are admitted free. The Museum will only admit Children below 13 years of age providing they are accompanied by an Adult.
- The Two Adult Family Admission Charge admits two Adults and up to three Children. The Single Adult Family Admission Charge admits one Adult and up to three Children.
- Single Group Admission Charges apply to pre-booked groups of 10 or more Visitors with the exception of School Parties.
- The Museum requires that pre-booked School Parties have at least one Adult for every eight Children. The Admission Charge for pre-booked School Parties is per Child with one free Adult per eight children. If the number of Children divided by eight results in a remainder then another free Adult will be admitted. Special Admission Charges apply for Special School Days.
Throughout the winter Abbot's Hall will remain open year round, Tuesday - Saturday with exhibitions exploring home and belonging in East Anglia, the hall provides an interesting and worthwhile day out in itself.
The main museum site is seasonal, and during the winter months we close our displays and historic buildings to the public. However, we welcome visitors to walk around the museum site and nature reserve for a reduced admission price.
For pre booked school parties and general groups of over 10 people, the museum site can be specially opened during the winter. Normal admission charges apply, please visit the Group Visits page for more information.
- The Single Group Admission Charge applies to pre-booked Evening Visits of Groups to the Museum with a Minimum Charge of £100.00.
- Memberships are valid for one year from date of purchase. The Joint Membership is available to two Adults living at the same address. Should any Category of Visitor decide to purchase a Membership on the same day as their visit, the Admission Charge paid for the visit will be deducted from the Membership Charge for the equivalent Category.
- Party Guide
- Attractions and Museums
- Special needs discounts
- FREE carer passes
It is your responsibility to verify availabilities, opening times, and all relevant details of businesses and events shown on this website.