Eggcellent Easter library activities
Suffolk Libraries has lined up some cracking activities over the Easter holidays for families to enjoy:
· Gainsborough Library is holding a special Easter event tomorrow (Thursday 24 March) from 3.30pm to 6pm. It’s free entry and includes Easter crafts, an egg hunt and a raffle.
· Gainsborough Library are also holding two forensic science sessions with Kinetic Adventure Centre on Tuesday 5 April from 1.30pm to 3pm and 3.15pm to 4.45pm. It’s £2 per child and £5 for a family of 3+ children
· Chantry Library are having an Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday 26 March from 10am to 12noon.
· Chantry Library are also holding rocket-making workshops with Kinetic Adventure Centre on Tuesday 5 April from 10am to 12noon. To celebrate Chantry Library’s successful application to join in the RHS Rocket Science experiment the library is hosting this fun science workshop for children.
· Children will get the chance to make air-pump rockets and, weather permitting, taking them to Stonelodge Park to launch them. Please book your place - it’s £2 per child or £5 for a family of 3+ children. The RHS Rocket Science experiment will involve rocket seeds which are currently on the International Space Station being given to the library to grow.
· Haverhill Library are holding a bedtime story session for children on Tuesday 29 March from 6pm to 6.30pm. It’s a free session for children to enjoy some favourite bedtime picture books with milk and cookies. Children are welcome to come along in pyjamas and with their favourite cuddly toy.
· Woodbridge Library are holding two forensic science workshops for children on Thursday 31 March from 10.30am to 12noon and 1pm to 2.30pm. Kinetic Adventure Centre are running the workshops which give children the chance to dress up as a forensic scientist and have a go at solving a crime with a set of clues. £3 per child, for children aged 5 and over. Please book in advance.
· Hadleigh Library are hosting two workshops with Kinetic Adventure Centre creating mini science experiments for children on Friday 1 April. The sessions run from 10.30am to 12noon and from 1pm to 2.30pm
· Bury St Edmunds Library are holding a special Easter holiday activity where children can make their own robot clock. The activity is being held on Saturday 2 April and Saturday 9 April from 10am to 11.30am. It’s £3 to take part and please book your place as places will be limited.
· Beccles Library are hosting a storytelling session on Tuesday 5 April at 2pm where local author Alan Popham’s book ‘Hercules the Tap Dancing Octopus’ will be read by his daughter with live drawing by local cartoonist, Marko. All children are welcome, it’s free to attend and there’s no need to book.
· Beccles Library are also hosting a session with author Shemily McBur, who will be introducing her Prehistoric Colouring Book on Friday 8 April at 2pm. The book has been created by mother and daughter team, Sheena and Emily (Shemily). They have drawn inspiration from a passion for palaeontology, and combined with artistic skills have created some beautiful illustrations. Shemily will be doing a book signing as well bringing some fossils and rocks to show and talk about. There will also be a quiz with prizes and colouring activities. The first 10 people to buy a book will also get a free fossil. This is a free event for children with all ages with no booking required, available for children of all ages.
· Wickham Market Library is again running its Easter Eggstream Reading Challenge which is open to any children aged under 12. Children have to collect a reading record card from the library and the aim is to read four books during the Easter period. Once they have completed all four books they are entered into a prize draw. There are lots of prizes and everyone turning up to the presentation on Sunday 10 April at 3pm will get given a small Lindt chocolate egg. Reading record cards are available now.
· Southwold Library are holding a competition to win a chocolate egg by designing and colouring your own Easter egg. It’s open to all children aged 0-16 and closes on Monday 11 April. Entries forms are available from the library.
· Ixworth Library has an Easter quiz trail. This activity is available during library opening hours until Saturday 2 April. The Friends of Ixworth are sponsoring a quiz for children discovering the enduring history of Ixworth. Quiz forms are available now and cost £1. All completed forms will receive an ‘I Love Ixworth Library’ sticker and will be entered into a Prize Draw to win one of three Easter Egg Prizes.
Suffolk Libraries are also reminding customers that all libraries will be closed on the Easter Bank Holidays Friday 25 March, Sunday 27 March and Monday 28 Mar, but open as normal on Saturday 26 March. All loan return dates due on Bank Holidays will be adjusted automatically and customers can still renew loans online.