Financial Aid for Our Special Kids in Suffolk

Written by MiriamSpall on Monday, September 21, 2015 - 13:34

The day our children are born is by far one of the happiest day of our lives. This is the day we see their little faces for the first time, when we play with their tiny little fingers and dream of their successes and bright future. For some, this future becomes uncertain almost immediately and for others later on when their babies haven't reached their milestones, the worries and the dreadful wait for a diagnosis commence. We thought we would put together a list of charities and financial help available to parents in Suffolk as we know new parents may not be fully aware of what is available to them in terms of support. Remember, you can ask your social worker to help you find suitable grants or you can get excellent specialist advice from Contact a Family or call 0800 808 3555 (between 9.30am-5pm)

  1. Disability living allowance. Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who: is under 16 and has difficulties walking or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability. They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements.The DLA rate is between £21.80 and £139.75 a week and depends on the level of help the child needs. The child may need an assessment to work out what help they need.
  2. Carers allowance- Carer’s Allowance is £62.10 a week to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs. You must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them. you earn no more than £110 a week (after taxes, care costs while you’re at work and 50% of what you pay into your pension) - don’t count your pension as income
  3. Suffolk carers - They provide advice to parent carers and also can offer respite and "time for you" aid.
  4. Activities Unlimited-Activities- Unlimited provides short breaks and leisure activities to disabled children aged 0-25 in Suffolk. They also provide you with a personal budget which is a form of a yearly "grant" which can be used on a variety of activities such as holiday clubs and swimming etc. Your EHCP (Education, Health and Care Plan ) will be co-produced by you and the professional leading on your plan; this may be a special needs officer, health worker or social worker. - 01473 260026
  5. The Family Fund - They provide grants for a wide range of items, such as washing machines, sensory toys, family breaks, bedding, tablets, furniture, outdoor play equipment, clothing and computers. "If you’re applying for the first time. You’ll need to download an application form or you can ask for one to be sent to you. To check if you're eligible to apply, you can review our eligibility criteria, including income, and our disability criteria"
  6.  Town Kids Trust - The Town Kids Trust is a fantastic local charity that provide grants to local people and, meet several times a year to consider grant applications. Their website seldom says they are not taking applications, but write them and ask them when their next meeting is.
  7. Caldwell children's trust - Caudwell Children provide family support services, equipment, treatment and therapies for disabled children and their families across the UK. They also run an Enable Sport programme for talented disabled athletes and their Destination Dreams holiday for children fighting life threatening conditions. Focused on supporting those families that need our help the most, applicants are means tested and must have a gross household income of less than £45,000 to be eligible.
  8. Anglian water- They do a discount rate for water for children/adults with disabilities. WaterCare is available to a wide range of  customers, from nursing mothers with children under the age of one to kidney dialysis patients who have a dialysis machine at home; customers who have sight or hearing difficulties and those who are frail and elderly or classed as disabled.
  9. Help with council tax-The Disability Reduction scheme, contact your local council for details.  You can get a reduction on your bill if you or someone in your home is ‘substantially and permanently disabled’ and one of the following applies. You (or they):
  • have a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) which is used to meet your needs e.g. for the purposes of dialysis, treatment or for the storage of equipment;
  • have a second bathroom or kitchen used to meet your needs; or
  • have enough space in your home to use a wheelchair indoors.

Other sources of funding

Turn2Us - offer excellent web-based advice and grants search Gateopener - click on the link or telephone 01638 510463

Image of Alex and Miriam
Written by
Where To Take Our Children